Why get abused by spam when you can face it head-on?
If you are an Internet user, you will know how irritating and in some cases dangerous spamming can be. Spam is the process of using electronic messaging systems to inundate you with unsolicited bulk messages. Though frequently scam may refer to e-mail spam, it actually applies to similar abuses that are prevalent in other media as well, including- instant messaging spam, Internet forum spam, Web search engine spam, and more.
Spamming is extensively used by advertisers to promote their products as there is no operating cost involved. Advertisers are also bolstered by the fact that they can’t be held responsible for sending these e-mails. Though this form of mailing is not deemed to be dangerous, yet there is a chance that their sheer number would drive you crazy. Deleting these mails, flooding the inbox, is not something that you would like to go through on a daily basis. Still, these types of mails don’t pose the kind of threat that spam does; it is designed to steal your personal identity and carry over similar malicious stuff do. These sort of mails, if not properly handled can cause you severe harm. Here are some tips that will protect you from spam abuses:
- Don’t ever make the mistake of responding to junk e-mails. The trick here is that until and unless you open the mail or click on any link accompanying it, it can’t harm you. So, it is best to delete the mail immediately
- Refrain from using your personal e-mail for use on websites and online forums. If you do so, don’t forget to do a background check
- It is important to set-up junk mail and spam filters without delay
- Don’t go over board when subscribing to discussion lists. Preferably stick to moderated and essential ones
- It is important to remember that there are spam engines in operation that are waiting to exploit the slightest mistake you make. To sidestep them, distort your e-mail so that it can only be recognized by humans and not machines, like using ‘@’ in place of ‘at’
- Check out the anti-spam software offered by different brands
- It is wise to use an alternative e-mail address for all non-personal activities
If you follow these methods, there is every chance that you can avoid being abused by spam. However, what is even more important than these precautionary methods is how intelligently and imaginatively you approach specific spam. Don’t forget they come in different shades and colors!