Best practices for e-mail archiving
E-mail, the most efficient means of communication, becomes an extremely important tool when integrated in an enterprise system. In such a system, all the records of day-to-day communication either have some technical, business, or even legal value. Therefore, it becomes critical to keep the data secure, organized, and easily accessible.
E-mail archiving is a stand-alone application integrated within an enterprise e-mail server to provide quick and indexed access to archived content. The objectives of e-mail archiving include – regulatory compliance, litigation and legal discovery, e-mail backup and disaster recovery, messaging system and storage optimization, and the monitoring of external and internal e-mail content (e-mail retention policy).
An e-mail archiving product has to be determined, keeping in mind the contextual objectivities. It should provide good data management. Most importantly, some best practices are required to incorporate data safety and integrity. These are:
• The storage provided by an e-mail archiving mechanism needs to have a quick access response time.
• Do not be attracted towards a cheap storage option. Always look for functional advantages and scalability.
• There shall be a simultaneous backup service to ensure optimum data safety.
• Avoid a product that is just an accumulation of third-party tools.
• Define and update your data retention and deletion policies as early as possible to avoid mismanagement later.
• The product needs to feature classification of e-mail data as per their importance.
• It needs to avoid unwanted and irrelevant functionalities, including the ones corresponding to unnecessary electronic discovery features.
• Ensure that all communication data is accessible for electronic discovery from a legal point of view, any time.
• The product’s behavior and requirements shall not breach the security policies of your organization.
• The storage capacity shall fall in line with business infrastructure so that the data does not get lost or cramped due to over-burdened storage.
E-mail archiving in sync with these best practices will certainly eliminate hassles and result in effective data management for your organization.