How to make AutoArchive work in Microsoft Outlook 2013?
Like every other mailbox, Microsoft Outlook inbox also swells with the number of sent or received item. Gradually, your mailbox will be running out of space and capacity to store and receive messages. For managing the space in Microsoft Outlook 2013 mailbox, you can move older, rarely used items to an archived location. The AutoArchive option of Microsoft Outlook lets users archive old items automatically. When an item has expired or has passed their aging period, the AutoArchive feature moves this item from its original location to a different archive file folder. This helps manage the space in Microsoft Outlook mailbox. AutoArchive will move out messages that are over 6 months old from your Exchange server mailbox to another mailbox stored in local computer.
Following are the steps to set up AutoArchiving in Microsoft Outlook 2013:
- Open Microsoft Outlook 2013: Firstly open the Microsoft Outlook 2013 application by double clicking on the Microsoft Outlook 2013 icon.
- Click on File Tab and Options button: After the Microsoft Outlook 2013 opens up; you will find the ‘File’ tab button on the top left hand. Click on it. Then click on the ‘Options’ button. The dialog box of Outlook 2013 will open up.
- Find the Navigation Pane: On the dialog box of Outlook 2013, find the Navigation pane at the left side; click on it.
- Advanced button: Click on the ‘Advanced’ button located in the Navigation Pane of Outlook 2013. Clicking on it will display the options for working with Outlook.
- Find the AutoArchive Settings: Click on the ‘AutoArchive Settings’ button in the AutoArchive Section. The dialog box of AutoArchive will appear.
- Run AutoArchive every: When the dialog box opens check on the ’Run AutoArchive every‘ on the box. You can choose and set the number of days. By default, the number of days is set to 14 days.
- Uncheck ‘Delete Expired items’ (email folders only)
- Also unselect the ‘permanently delete old items’ radio button
- Then click on ‘Apply settings to all folders now’
- Click ‘Ok’.
If the AutoArchive option is turned on, then Outlook 2013 will automatically archive items every 14 days, since the default setting is 14 days.
For multiple folders, you have to click on ‘email’ folder, click the ‘Properties’ and select the ‘AutoArchive’ tab. Then, choose ‘Archive this folder using these settings’ after the appropriate change is done. Now, click ’Ok’ button to save the changes.
For manually running the AutoArchive, you have to first go to ‘File’ Tab from menu, then click on ‘Info’ button. This will be located on the navigation panel. Then, click the ‘Cleanup Tools’ button and the ‘Archive’ button.
Archiving old messages will speed up the Microsoft Outlook and keep the mailbox clean. It helps in saving a lot of space in Outlook.