How to Manually Archive in Microsoft Outlook 2013
It is always necessary to back up your data and cleaning messages on regular basis. At that, deleting old messages may not be the only option to clean up your inbox; you may also archive old messages. With Microsoft Outlook 2013, you can archive messages. By archiving emails, you can locate older items for reference, if needed in future. It’s like storing old messages in a place which can be accessed easily.
There are two types of archiving methods in Microsoft Outlook 2013 – Auto Archiving and Manual Archiving. In Auto Archiving, the AutoArchive tool does the work automatically but in Manual Archiving method, you have to do the work. In Manual Archiving, you have the control over the item which needs to be archived.
Here are the steps you need to follow when you are manually archiving messages from your inbox.
- Open Microsoft Outlook 2013 by double clicking the icon.
- Click on ‘File’, then, ‘Info’, choose ‘Cleanup Tools’ > ‘Archive’.
- Click the ‘Archive this folder and all subfolders’ and select the folder where you wish to archive your old messages in.
- Enter a date in the ‘Archive items older than’ option.
- Click Include items with “Do not AutoArchive” checked.
- Click ‘Ok’.
If you wish to manually archive your messages, you need to turn off the ‘AutoArchive’ options.
For turning off Auto archiving, you need to follow these steps:
- Click File, click ‘Options’, and select ‘Advanced’
- Click ‘AutoArchive Settings’ under ‘AutoArchive’ option
- Uncheck the ‘Run AutoArchive every days’ box.
Until you have successfully archived your old items for the first time, the archived folder will not appear.
To Find and View an archived item, you can follow these steps –
- Click ‘File’, from there, select ‘Open & Export’
- Click ‘Open Outlook Data File’
- Select the file you want to open from the dialog box that opens up
- The file will open in ‘File Name’ text box.
- Click ’Ok’
Emails you have archived will be available on the left pane of the main Outlook Mail window in the ’Archives’ folder.
It is better to archive your emails and messages as it makes your emails more organized. You can easily find old items whenever you want. Archiving also keeps your inbox and folders in orderly manner.