Outlook 2010 Spam Filter Combat your E-mail Spam
Are you tired of deleting junk e-mail messages from your inbox as they continue to block your account with unwanted spam mails?
Well, it’s a common problem that almost every Microsoft Outlook 2010 user faces in their day to day life. The unwanted and harmful junk e-mail messages that your system tags over and over again are nothing but scrap e-mail messages sent in bulk from senders you do not know. Such mails are suspicious of being spam as they are from people who try to contact you personally by asking your personal details like your phone number, account details, etc.
However, not every time mails from unknown sender are considered to be spam but in most of the cases they are. The only reason spam works in making populace caught in despicable attempts is because they are cheap to send, can be sent in bulk, and of course some people do buy products advertised in spam e-mail encouraging spammers to send more and more e-mails.
What is Spam Filters?Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
Coming to what a spam filter do to combat the problem of e-mail spam. Well, these are made with complicated algorithms to help you identify junk e-mail messages and combat the problem of e-mail spam very conveniently. Also, spam filters uses filter functions on your mail client and track down every mail received as spam. So, if you want to protect your computer from the attack of spammers, you need to configure message filter function on your mail client. To do so, you can follow our instructions mentioned below and configure spam filters on Microsoft Outlook 2010.
Before, you start, it’s important to note that the junk e-mail filter is turned off by default in Outlook 2010 and to configure Outlook 2010 for same, you need to refer to our steps here.
How to configure spam filters in Microsoft Outlook 2010?
To turn on the Outlook built-in spam filter, you need to..
- Launch Outlook, and click on Junk in the “Home tab.
- Select Junk E-mail Options and you will see the “Junk E-mail Options box.
- In this, choose the level of junk e-mail message protection you want, and then click OK.
You can customize junk e-mail handlingÂ
- Safe Senders List: Using this, you can add the sender of an e-mail message to your Safe Senders list, in case it is mistakenly marked as a junk e-mail message by the filter.
- Safe Recipients Lists: It includes lists of e-mailing list or group that you are a member of and the same is not to be treated as junk e-mail messages.
- Blocked Senders List: This includes the list of e-mail messages from certain e-mail address or domain name that you choose to block so that the people from this list could never send you any junk e-mail.
To add a sender to Safe Senders List, Safe Recipients Lists, or Blocked Senders List, you need to...
- Right-click on a message from the sender and point to Junk E-mail, and then click either on Add Sender to Safe Senders List, Add Sender to Blocked Senders List, or Add Recipient to Safe Recipients Lists.
Steps to customize a Message Filter in Microsoft Outlook 2010
You can customize a Message Filter in Outlook 2010 to manage any specific type of e-mail message in a convenient manner. Here are the steps to customize it.
- Launch Outlook
- Under "Home" option, select Rules, and then click Manage Rules and Alerts.
- Locate “Rules and Alerts dialogue box and click New Rule.
- Now select Start from a blank rule in the “Rules Wizard dialogue box and select "Next"Â and you will find step 1 and step 2 in the Rules Wizard dialogue box.
- Select condition that says with specific words in the message header under Step 1.
- Click the underlined phrase, specific words in the box under Step 2.
- Click on E-Spam-Flag: Yes in the text box that appears and then click Add, then OK, and then Next.
- Again in Rules wizard’s Step 1: Select action(s), you need to select move it to the specified folder.
- Click the blue and underlined word, specified in the box under Step 2, and then select Junk and click OK, then Next.
- To see how the filter runs that you just created, you have to click Run this rule now and press Finish.
- Lastly click Apply, and then OK to move back to your inbox
There is no deny in the fact that spam is the cheap way of attracting customers through mails, but fortunately, it has not ruined the e-mail messaging services completely. You can keep a strong eye on your e-mail client and protect your account by setting a spam filter on your Microsoft Outlook 2010 yet very easily.
The steps above can help you set spam filter on and also customize junk e-mail with the help of Safe Senders List, Safe Recipients Lists, and Blocked Senders list. So, what are you waiting for? Start following our steps and make the changes as required.